For quite some I have trying to find out ways to rename the Recycle bin seen on the desktop of Windows operating system. I found quite some very interesting methods. So I am listing all these methods step by step. This Windows Registry Hacking works in Windows XP.
- Method I - Using registry -
- Click Start > Run > and type regedit. This will start the Windows Registry Editor.
- Now you have to go to the key form where you can rename the recycle bin. The key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache
- Click in right panel and select the key named '@C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll,-8964'. Now right click the key and select modify. Change the vale "Recycle Bin" to whatever you want.
- Method II - Using Resigtry Editor Only Once (easy) -
- First step is same as above. You have to lanuch Windows Registry Editor. So Click Start > Run > and type regedit.
- Go to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/CLSID/645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E/ShellFolder
- Click in right panel and select the key named 'Attributes'. Now right click the key and select modify. Change the value 40 01 00 20 to 70 01 00 20.
- Now you don't have to goto registry any more to rename. Now go to desktop right-click on the recycle bin and choose explore.
- . In the left pane of Explorer, select Recycle Bin and press F2 to Rename.
(Click to enlarge)
note:- Be careful while editing registry. An error can make your system unusable. Use at your own risk.